2009-07-19



We were walking down the street calmly, after dinner, when suddenly a bicycle, 40’ from us, got onto the sidewalk and the guy on top of it fell. ‘Oh-my-god’ was our thought. We run towards the guy and tried to help.

- Are you ok? – my friend asked.
- Yes – the guy answered, on the floor, rubbing his shoulder – just give me a minute: it’s just my shoulder that is probably dislocated. I got this from Vietnam.

The guy looked like he had had something to drink or smoke. He was in his early fifties and had a hippie look.

- Do you need an ambulance? – my friend asked.
- No, thank you.
- Can I help you stand up? – he insisted.
- No. I’m fine. Just give me a minute.

My friend looked at him for a few seconds but it was very uncomfortable to stay there doing nothing, just looking at the guy on the floor. So he insisted on helping: he tried to take the bicycle off the ground.

- It’s ok, man – the fallen man added -. I can do that.
- Would you like me to call someone?
- No, thank you.

My friend decided to move on. He started leaving and said:

- Well, nice to meet you, and thank you for Vietnam.

Roscoe Village, Chicago, IL, June 2009

No hay comentarios.: